Thursday 19 June 2014

IT Girl - Nic Tatano - 5* Book Review



Anchor man meets Sex in the City - that is the best way to describe this new piece of work from the delightful Sicilian and New Yorker Nic Tantano.

Nic has vast experience in the area of Television networking to support this series. His career as a weatherman, reporter, anchor and producer for various television networks ensures he knows the real gossip from the green room which helps make this series so believable. He is confident in his approach to the subject matter and I can't help but picture him back in his weatherman dating days, looking something like this.


Although Nic knows roller skating on a first date is not as romantic as Xanadu has you believe... his real life dating traumas which he often shares with his readers have added to his witty humour which transfers well to the characters he creates for us.

I never watch morning TV, I am a press snooze till there are 20 minutes to be out the door girl, so I don't really understand the complexities of anchoring or the decisions behind who graces the screen. Nic depicts that well and had me wondering why the hell someone would find that appealing as a career. I assume that being an anchor is far more desirable in the States than here in the UK where we actually have a show called 'This Morning'. I don't think our TV presenters get paid the figures mentioned in this book and they certainly don't look like supermodels but they do have a wicked sense of humour!  (Check out this clip of Fern Cotton and Philip Schofield)



I pictured someone like Amy Adams for Nic's leading lady. A redhead who is terrified of missing out on a career opportunity or gaining weight, but most of all in losing her edge as a political journalist.



I noticed the play on the surnames with the two anchors 'Summer' and 'Winter'.. very seasonal. I also loved that the protagonist had friends, love life and balls big enough to ensure her career was not affected by whoever was in her bed. She's not afraid to kick a hottie to the curb whilst dressed in nothing but a red thong and armed with squirty cream... my kind of girl.

There were a lot of references to 'legs' so I am going to say the author has a leg fetish to go with his obvious passion for red heads whatever shade, copper top, strawberry blonde or pillar box.

You can easily forget that the author is male, which is a gift in itself. His depiction of girly feelings and gossip make the characters relatable and relevant. Not forgetting the hot males with stubble, 'long dimples' and winning smiles to melt the knickers of any sleep deprived mother. Both are made drool worthy whatever your sexuality reading this. I also made me realise that putting off shaping my eyebrows and shaving my legs would not pass in 'Anchor World'. You can't live in leggings and hide a unibrow behind a fringe or baseball cap... Oh and the camera adds 20lbs.

This is the first instalment and I would have preferred to read the entire thing. I am used to finishing a book and being left on a cliffhanger makes me sulk. Do I want to read more... yep I want to see who the love interest is and I want it now! That makes it 5*'s, along side the ability to make me give a flying fuck about morning TV.

I may even wake extra early tomorrow to watch morning TV... then again I may just set the Tivo and bash the shit out of the snooze button. 

No comments:

Post a Comment