Wednesday 4 June 2014

The Illicit Love of a Courtesan - Jane Lark - BOOK REVIEW




I can't even begin to explain how much I loved this book... maybe the fact that after reading the first chapter I put my kindle down and applauded the author. Yes, I clapped! I've never done that before but I was excited by what I had just read and felt somewhat naughty for enjoying it  ;)

This is where I remind you that you can read the first chapter for free on Amazon and experience it for yourself. I promise you will not be disappointed.

The first chapter was not only beautifully written, it captured your attention, leaving you so invested in the characters there was no way you could put the book down. Add to that the 'Oh my god' moments where the author doesn't make miracles happen to save the protagonist. She is not living the fairytale, she is more like a raven haired Rapunzel kept in a town house and only allowed out for the sadistic pleasure of others. During which time you can feel the bile rise in your throat the same as the character.

The author keeps the suspense and drama moving along steadily. Depicting the scenes with historical accuracy and enthusiasm, allowing you to envisage the world they live in to the point you can smell the tobacco or feel the cold air on your cheeks.

There were so many wonderfully romantic lines to make you swoon and wish for your very own Edward. His adoration of her is obsessive and possessive but above all sexy as he knows he is head of heels in love with her. He is ready to gambol through life so long as it is with her. There is no sacrifice too big and her past is 'her past' as far as he is concerned. Even when her secrets are revealed one by one, he loves her more for them.

We all want a love like that and to read it described so well in this novel made me swoon and pine for the days when men were gallant, respectful... yes chauvinistic... but historical romances are. Even so, the line between a woman knowing her place, respecting her husband and being given the right to make decisions is evenly balanced. Ellen is self sacrificing and humble but she is no push over.

They was more nookie in 336 pages than any historical romance I've ever read. Just count yourself lucky that you can't get pregnant from reading, not that you would complain where Edward was concerned.

I enjoyed it from beginning to end and have decided I would read anything by Jane Lark... hell I'd even read her shopping list!

I am delighted that I have a several of her novels in my library including 'Capturing the Earls Love', 'The Passionate Love of a Rake' and 'The Scandalous Love of a Duke' which feature characters you meet in this novel. Also 'Capturing the Earls Love' is a free Novella so you can download it today.



Here is a treat... Jane Lark reading an excerpt from 'The Illicit Love of a Courtesan'.



You can purchase them here: Amazon and leave a review. 

6 comments:

  1. Ahhhh! Fabulous! Thrilled you loved it so much :D You have put a big smile on my face! Thanks so much for taking the time to read and review The Illicit Love of a Courtesan I really appreciate it, and I'll look forward to hearing what you think of the rest of the series, they are all quite different as I follow the characters personality more than just write the a historical romance..

    Best wishes
    x
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it. <3 I look forward to reading them. I was so happy to see one was from Roberts POV. Shocked there was a grown up John but intrigued to read it. Then the bonus of Rupert. Yay!

      Delete
  2. Woo hoo. A lovely review, Airam/Maria. So glad you lijed it too. It is a fantastic book. Caroline xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous review! Made me smile throughout the whole review. Jane is just awesome right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I was going to enjoy it and had been pining for a historical romance. She ticked all the boxes. Wonderful.

      Delete