Wednesday 5 February 2014

WRITING A REVIEW...TIPS.

I've been asked to explain how I compose my reviews and give some tips, as some people are reluctant to write or post them on their blog, in case they get it wrong or receive backlash. This is how I do it. I have no idea how others do theirs but here we go...

Firstly, you can never get it wrong, it is your opinion. Second, a review can be 20 words long on Amazon. It would take a reader 1 minute to type 2 sentences in the review section e.g. 'I loved this story. It made me laugh, cry, swoon and fall in love with the authors style of writing.' See easy! Anyone can do it. The problem is, they often don't as they assume it has to be in depth and they don't have time. Other assume you need a degree in English or be an expert on the subject matter. Nope, a review is purely what you thought of it. Examples:

'It was good. I enjoyed it. I really like the end as it was action packed. Can't wait for the next book.' 5*

'I liked it but felt there were too many questions left unanswered. I am hoping they get covered in the sequel.' 4*

'It took me a while to get into the story as the first few chapters were a bit like a history lesson as opposed to a historical romance.' 3* 

It can be as simple as that. I am not a review snob. I don't care who the publisher is or the author. When I review a book it is based on the shelf appeal and blurb, whether is be online or in a shop. An author wants reviews, they don't expect you to be a wordsmith. As an author myself I get the best reviews from mums at home with a baby in one arm and an ereader in the other or people sneak reading at work or school. 

NETGALLEY

I also review ARC's via NetGalley which I was invited to join last year as a professional reader. I can request a copy of a story I am interested in but I also receive requests from publishers and authors as me to review a story. You then download as a file or send to your kindle as a 'personal document'. You have a certain number of days or weeks before it is archived by the publisher and you can no longer read it. Sometimes you can request a story and the publisher refuses as you have not got enough feedback from others for them to judge if you are any good at reviews.  

I mainly review at the authors request. When I am sent ARC's by the author or publisher my reviews are more in depth. They are for feedback. I point out plot holes and highlight typos etc. When I write a review I do it honestly with a positive mindset and ensure any feedback is constructive and not destructive critique. If I don't like certain sections of the story I'll tell the author/publisher why. 

I won't review a story I don't find interesting. I will suggest other reviewers as an alternative if I know someone would enjoy reading it. 

I will repeat what I said before 'You do not have to be a professional reader, have a degree in English Literature or be a writer to review a story. Anyone who reads a story can review it.' 


MY RULES FOR REVIEWING


My number one rules is... start out positive. My mindset from the beginning is 5* as the author has taken the time and effort to write a story. It is their baby. They have been through the conception, which is always the best bit. They have carried the story around with them for months, sometimes years and been through the horror of editing labour.

They are finally showing us their baby, dressed in a posh book cover, name blazing across it and asking 'is it beautiful?'. No one wants to be told their baby's ugly, the names stupid and it stinks. Leave that to the trolls, manners cost nothing. 


STARTING WITH 5* IS MY CHOICE

Some reviewers like to build up to it, there is no hard and fast rule. I am basically giving the author a 'high five' for completing a novel. I only take away stars if something really niggles or confuses me and I have to step out of the world they created to get my bearings e.g. flicking back a few pages or google something I know to be factually incorrect. 

Throughout the process I jot notes on a pad of what I love, hate or spot as an error. I remove a star if they lose me e.g. can't work out who is talking or we change location half way though a conversation. Also if they take too long describing something, as it loses the momentum, especially in a battle scene. I hate poorly thought-out sex scenes where it ends up being more like a game of people jenga/twister as opposed to an erotic/romantic scene. You'd need tits on your back and the flexibility of a contortionist to get into some of them. 


I often spot where the editor has removed a scene but referred to it later on, I point those out in a private message. Not in the review. 

A story will lose a star if it's full of plot holes or races to the end for the sake of 'word count' and leaves me with questions. So many try to cram in 50,000 or 85,000 words. Pay attention to the page count as you can review 3 stories in your TBR pile if the page count is e.g. 47 or 56, where as another is 287. Some are just one shorts and 10 pages. Get it out the way. 


HONESTY

I always tell the author the parts I didn't enjoy or where they confused me, in a private message not on the review. If it is published and I will allude to finding areas confusing but I won't be specific in my review as I would have already fed back to the author. Most importantly I tell them the parts I loved and if it is a series, what I am looking forward to reading in the next. I will also explain where they lost or regained a star and why. I give stars back for awesome bits! 

I don't post reviews lower than 3* in public, but I do feedback to the author direct. They have always been grateful and agreed on areas of improvement. I've never had anyone object to my reviews. I am often asked to read drafts to help other authors with document blindness or writers block. That is how I started reviewing. 


PROMOTING YOUR REVIEWS

If I like a story and think it is worth reading I will post my review on Amazon, Goodreads, Facebook, Twitter, blog etc but only when the story is published. Not before. If I don't like a story I won't post a review. Simple. 



Enjoy reading the story and only at the end write the review, don't keep stopping. Yes, I note things down but it's nothing more than 'pg89 typo, 3rd line, Out not Our'. Those notes go to the publisher not in the review. 

DON'T POST SPOILERS

You are reviewing a story. Not retelling it. If your review contains a spoiler post a warning on it. 'This review contains spoilers' as there is nothing worse. Don't become a numpty like those who spoilt Harry Potter and Bridget Jones for people. 


5 STARS - WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?


You are supporting an author with a review. It doesn't have to be 5*'s to be a great review, people see the scale very differently and it can vary depending on the site you are using. Don't feel pressured to give 5*'s. No matter how popular the book, it will never get straight 5's. In fact the more popular a book gets, the more outspoken the reviewers. Yes it's true that publishers don't often promote a review unless it is 5*'s but that's not important, an honest review is. 

In my mind (1) is poo, (2) is Meh, (3) is 'yeah it's ok', (4) is 'read it you'll like it, (5) can be varying things 'Read it, I want to discuss it with you' or 'I loved the shit out of this book'.

To other reviewers it could be (1) is 'WTF', (2) is 'Absolute Crap', (3) is 'Hours of my life wasted', (4) is 'It was ok but I hated most of it', (5) 'Loved the shit out of this book!'  


So as you can see, you can't go wrong. It's an opinion. Your opinion. Your version of the 1-5* and if everyone liked to read the same thing there would be no need for reviewers. Be your own person, give an honest and fair review. Be conscious that there is a person on the receiving end of the words you type. I use the 'granny rule' don't say something in your review that you are not willing to say to a granny. For the record I know some pretty frisky grannies but if you are rude to them, their cat will scratch your eyes out ;) 


Enjoy reviewing! It only needs to be 20 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment